Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Vernal equinox

March 23, 2010
Test lunch #9

Tasters: Lisa, Kristin and Mr. H

Menu:
Orzo and spinach salad with spiced walnuts
Deviled eggs
Kiwi
Lemon roll cakeRecipes, notes and feedback:

Salad: Potluck Blue Ribbon Pecan Spinach Toss. Recipe from Susan Branch's "Autumn" cookbook (p 47). It's a mix of orzo pasta, chopped fresh spinach, feta and spicy/sweet pecans (I used walnuts) with a light lemon dressing. A touch dry even though I already doubled the olive oil. Maybe even more oil if it's sitting over night. I wondered if it needed salt but others said no, they liked the light flavor. Lisa thought this was really only appropriate for nice weather and she's right. A perfect spring/summer salad.

Deviled eggs: used the abundance of hen eggs, mashed the yolks with mayo, mustard S&P then put the egg halves back together like a sandwich so everyone got one full egg. They got a bit watery sitting over night but everyone seemed to like them

Kiwi: One kiwi/person. Peeled and sliced.

Lemon Roll: Susan Branch's "Vineyard Seasons" cookbook (p 123). I love Susan Branch! I used the large cookie sheet which seemed okay although the cake stuck to the towel. Filled with lemon curd from Small Batch Preserving rather than the lemon sauce recipe in the cookbook. This was a big hit with Kristin and Lisa. Mr. H didn't sample.

Other accomplishments:
Did I mention I started using the linen napkins purchased for Lunch Valet?

Goals for next week:
Figure out if I want to continue this.

2 comments:

  1. When I made the lemon cake, I also had the issue of the cake sticking to the towel. I thought it was just me and the bad towel choice that I made. The cake though is really yummy, and I can't wait to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the recipe for the UCD Coffeehouse Chicken Tetranzinni?

    ReplyDelete