Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dinner!


April 25, 2010
Test lunch #13
Tasters: Jan, Bob, Mr. H

Menu:
Wheatberry salad

Recipes, notes and feedback:
Wheatberry salad: This was based on a pre-packaged salad I saw at Trader Joes. It included: cooked wheatberries, mixed green lettuce, apple, chicken, toasted almonds and gorgonzola served with balsamic vinaigrette. Wheatberries were boiled with a bit of salt for about 30 min. until quite tender then I let them cool in the cooking water before draining. I cooked about 1 cup of berries which was more than enough for 4.5 salads. That many salads also took: 1 large apple, one large chicken breast (grilled, cooled and chopped), about 1/4 block of gorgonzola, ~1/2 cup of toasted almonds.
Everyone seemed to enjoy the salad and the wheatberries made it extra interesting. If it were part of a lunch, it would need another reasonably hearty item since there was only a bit of chicken. I thought it needed more gorgonzola (I did about 1.5 tbsp, crumbled per salad). Need to see if the almonds would stay crispy and the apple stay white overnight. Craisins would have been a nice apple alternative.

Wow, the chicken looks awfully raw/pink in these photos but I think it was done. Something is off with the photo color (I hope!)

No comments:

Post a Comment